In Windows 8.1 there are two different ways of using Internet Explorer. One way is to open Internet Explorer from within the Desktop mode, which gives you visible tabs, the address bar, and easy access to the Internet Explorer options.
The other is to use Internet Explorer from the New User Interface (previously known as Metro), and is called a Chrome-less mode because it uses all of the screen and is border-less.
By default Internet Explorer decides which mode to open, but if you would always like it to open in desktop mode how do you configure it?
From the desktop run Internet Explorer by running it from the program location, or press Windows Key + R, and type iexplore.
Click on the Tools button in the top right hand corner (it looks like a cog) or press Alt + X, and select Internet Options and then the Programs tab.
Or from within the New User Interface go to Control Panel (just start typing it), and select Internet Options.
Go to the Program tab, and from the drop down box, select how you would like Internet Explorer to open.
Edit: If you find this useful, please comment or share the post. Thanks.
1. How to open Internet Explorer 10 in Desktop Mode on Windows 8
2. Windows File Explorer – Open command prompt here
3. How to Open Internet Explorer in Windows 10
4. Connect to Computer missing on SBS 2008 Remote Web Workplace
5. How to add a Start Menu to Windows 8 Desktop Mode
6. Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded