Edit: Update Rollup 17 is now available for Exchange 2010 SP3 see the post Exchange 2010 SP3 Update Rollup 17 installation tips.
On February 12th Microsoft released the Exchange 2010 SP2 Update Rollup 6. See the official post here.
I’ve installed this on my test SBS 2011 server and compared to some previous update rollups it doesn’t take that long to install, 17 minutes in total, and my test SBS server isn’t very powerful.
You may also want to consider waiting a couple of days before deploying the update rollup in your production environment as the previous two update rollups had the first version pulled, before a v2 was released.
While looking for others experience of installing the update rollup I’ve come across a few suggestions that might help speed the install up and a few best practice tips. This has been updated from my previous tips on installing update rollup 4, found here.
1. Reboot the server prior to installing the update rollup. If it has been up for a while a reboot will make sure it is in a know good state.
2. Run the update from an elevated command prompt.
3. In Internet Explorer, deselect “Check for Publisher’s certificate” and “Check for server certificate revocation”, from Internet Options, Advanced tab, Security options.
4. Disable antivirus software.
5. Have a full backup and a system state backup of the server.
While the update is installed it will automatically stop Exchange and IIS service, and restart them again once complete.
Once the update has finished, remember to undo the changes made in steps 3 and 4 above.