Edit: Update Rollup 18 is now available for Exchange 2010 SP3 see the post Exchange 2010 SP3 Update Rollup 18 installation tips.
On May 29th Microsoft released the Exchange 2010 SP3 Update Rollup 1. See the official post here.
I’ve installed this on my test SBS 2011 server and compared to some previous update rollups it is remarkably quick to install, just under 12 minutes from start to finish, and my test SBS server isn’t very powerful.
You may also want to consider waiting a couple of days before deploying the update rollup in your production environment as the previous update rollups have had the original version pulled, before a v2 was released. Hopefully Microsoft have got this one right first time.
While looking for others experience of installing the update rollup I’ve come across a few suggestions that might help speed the install up and a few best practice tips. This has been updated from my previous tips on installing Update Rollup 6 for 2010 SP2, found here.
1. Reboot the server prior to installing the update rollup. If it has been up for a while a reboot will make sure it is in a know good state.
2. Run the update from an elevated command prompt.
3. In Internet Explorer, deselect “Check for Publisher’s certificate” and “Check for server certificate revocation”, from Internet Options, Advanced tab, Security options.
4. Disable antivirus software.
5. Have a full backup and a system state backup of the server.
6. Make sure the SBS console is closed if installing the update on SBS 2011.
While the update is installed it will automatically stop Exchange and IIS services, and restart them again once complete.
Once the update has finished, remember to undo the changes made in steps 3 and 4 above.