I’ve been working on a VMware and Dell System recently to commission a Storage Area Network with a 10Gb backbone, as part of the project we are upgrading the ESXi servers to 5.1, and as Dell OpenManage Server Administrator version 7.3 has been released recently we have been implementing it on the servers as we have been upgrading them.
Below are instructions on how to do this, and how to access the OpenManage Server Administrator console after it is installed.
1. Download the OpenManage Server Administrator vSphere Installation Bundle (VIB) for ESXi 5.1, v7.3 from Dell’s website. It can be found on the Product Support page in the System Management section. Or you can download it from here.
5. If you get a Security Warning dialogue box pop up, click Ignore.
6. Click Finish to confirm the import.
8. Click the Baseline and Groups tab. Then click on the left-hand Create option to create a new baseline.
9. Give the baseline a name, Dell Host Extension, and select the Host Extension radio button, and click Next.
11. Review the selection and click Finish.
12. Click on Home, Hosts and Clusters, select the host you want to Install OpenManage Server Administrator on and select the Update Manager tab, then click Attach.
14. Select Patches and Extensions check box and click Scan.
To Access Server Administrator on ESXi 5.1 do the following or, just copy and paste the following address into a browser, changing the ESXiservername:
1. From a Windows Server with Dell OpenManage Server Administrator installed, Open the local Server Administrator instance.
2. Click Logout in the top right hand corner of the web interface.
3. Click Log in.
4. Enter the Esxi hostname or IP address, username and password, and check the box to Ignore certificate warnings. Click Submit.
This is one of my most popular posts, so if you found it useful please share with your colleagues, like or leave a comment. Thanks, Carl.