Edit: Update Rollup 18 is now available for Exchange 2010 SP3 see the post Exchange 2010 SP3 Update Rollup 18 installation tips.
On August 13th Microsoft released the Exchange 2010 SP3 Update Rollup 2, UR7 for SP 2 and UR11 for Exchange 2007 SP3. See my post here.
I’ve run a test install of the Exchange 2010 SP3 UR2 on my test SBS 2011 server using the installation tips below and using the Windows Update installation method. Both methods take about 45 minutes, considerably longer than Update Rollup 1 for SP3, which only took 12 minutes!
You may also want to consider waiting a couple of days before deploying the Update Rollup in your production environment to confirm there are no issues with the Update Rollup. The Cumulative Updates for Exchange 2013 which were released at the same time have been removed from the Microsoft download website at the moment due to some installation issues.
While looking for others experience of installing the update rollup I’ve come across a few suggestions that might help speed the install up and a few best practice tips. This has been updated from my previous tips on installing Update Rollup 6 for 2010 SP2, found here.
1. Reboot the server prior to installing the update rollup. If it has been up for a while a reboot will make sure it is in a know good state.
2. Run the update from an elevated command prompt.
3. In Internet Explorer, deselect “Check for Publisher’s certificate” and “Check for server certificate revocation”, from Internet Options, Advanced tab, Security options.
4. Disable antivirus software.
5. Have a full backup and a system state backup of the server.
6. Make sure the SBS console is closed, and the Windows SBS Manager service stopped if installing the update on SBS 2011.
While the update is installing it will automatically stop Exchange and IIS services, and restart them again once complete.
Once the update has finished, remember to undo the changes made in steps 3, 4 and 6 above.