MSExchangeIS Event ID 9646: mapi session exceeded the maximum of 500 objects of type "objtFolderView" on Exchange Server 2010

Microsoft Exchange 2010

A user at a client recently was having Outlook synchronization issues.

As well as her own mailbox, she has open within her profile, a large shared mailbox and her managers mailbox.

After checking the Exchange 2010 Server event logs i noticed in the Application log MSExchangeIS Event 9646 was being logged for the user.

MSExchangeIS Event 9646To resolve the issue you need to increase the objFolder and objtFolderView value in the registry. I’d recommend increasing the value in small increments of 100 so not to exhaust the resources of the Exchange server if you have many people with the same setup. The default value for the two DWORDs we change is 500.

To do this open regedit.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesMSExchangeISParametersSystem.

Right click, select New, then select Key.

Call the key MaxObjsPerMapiSession.

Select the new key and create a new DWORD (32-bit) value.

Value Name: objtFolder

Value data: 600

objtFolder

Select the new key and create a new DWORD (32-bit) value.

Value Name: objtFolderView

Value data: 600

objtFolderView

The result should look like this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-SYSTEM-CurrentControlSet-Services-MSExchangeIS-ParametersSystem-MaxObjsPerMapiSessionRestart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store.

Relate articles on the web:

Microsoft Technet – Exchange Storage Limits

Microsoft Technet – Maximum open folder objects per logon has been changed

Related Posts:

1. Exchange 2010 SP3 Update Rollup 16 released and installation tips

2. How to install Exchange 2010 (SP3) on Windows Server 2012

3. Exchange Server and Update Rollups Build Numbers

4. How to install Exchange 2013 (SP1) on Windows Server 2012 R2

2 thoughts on “MSExchangeIS Event ID 9646: mapi session exceeded the maximum of 500 objects of type "objtFolderView" on Exchange Server 2010

  1. Nick

    Hi Thanks for this – I was setting the first one objtFolder but the error was still persisting. I didn’t read the error correctly though and realized it was the objtFolderView that needed to be added.
    All working well.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.