So I turned on my test SBS 2011 server today to test out the latest Exchange Update Rollup and was greeted by an VM that was hanging on startup. Looking into the issue more closely the virtual network adapter was disconnected and when I tried to select ‘connect’ I received the following error message:
The network bridge on device ‘VMnet0’ is not running. The virtual machine will not be able to communicate with the host or with other machines on your network. Failed to connect virtual device ‘Ethernet0’.
Having completed some Windows Updates recently I wondered whether that had changed any of my network settings, and looking at my primary adapter there was no VMware bridge service running.
So here’s how to fix the issue:
- On the host computer open the Network and Sharing Center.
- Click on Change adapter settings.
- Right click your network adapter and select properties.
- Click Install and select the Network Feature Type – Service. Then click Add.
- Select Network Service – VMware Inc – VMware Bridge Protocol, click OK.
- You should now see VMware Bridge Protocol. Click Ok again.
- Go back to your VM and network connectivity should be returned.