In this post I will look at how to enable USB 3 on Dell PowerEdge 13G servers, by default it is disabled.
I’ve been copying around a few large image backup files recently and turning on USB 3 has greatly reduced the time it takes to transfer these large files. This is especially useful if you are seeding remote/cloud backups.
1. Reboot the server and press F2 = System Setup during boot.
2. Select System BIOS.
3. Select Integrated Devices.
4. Select the Enabled radio button for the USB 3.0 Setting.
5. Click OK to the warning message: Warning: Choose this option only if your Operating System has USB 3.0 drivers.
6. Click Finish. Click Yes to Saving Changes.
You should see the Success dialogue box.
7. Click Finish again, and click Yes to confirm you want to reboot.
Once rebooted USB 3 should be enabled.
1. Dell PERC: How to clear the foreign configuration on a HDD using the Raid Configuration Utility
2. Dell EMC Server Update Utility SUU 17.04.00 released
3. How to convert a Hyper-V VHDX to VMDK for VMware Workstation
4. How to add a USB disk to a Windows 2012 Hyper-V VM
5. How to convert a Hyper-V VHDX to VMDK for VMware Workstation